The answer is not alcohol, but this survey from goo Ranking found thirty other reasons why not so cute girls can be hot.

Demographics

Over the 20th and 21st of December 2010 1,128 members of the goo Research online monitor group completed a private internet-based questionnaire. 65.4% of the sample were female, 11.9% in their teens, 17.2% in their twenties, 30.2% in their thirties, 23.2% in their forties, 10.0% in their fifties, and 7.4% aged sixty or older. Note that the score in the results refers to the relative number of votes for each option, not a percentage of the total sample. This survey was for men only.

For me, it has to be women with a quirky character, specifically an air of shrewdness, a combination of 21, the second 26 and 28, and number 2 is the icing on the cake. Wifey only manages 21, and 2 of course, but she doesn’t fall into the alluring but plain category, so I’ll forgive her!

Ranking result

Q: What makes physically not-too-attractive women attractive? (Sample size=390, male)

Rank   Score
26= Candid 21.2
28 Has an air of mystery 19.5
29 Proactive with regards to romance 18.8
30 Good with money 18.6

8 Comments

James · February 7, 2011 at 06:30

Might want to tweak the translation of number 21 a bit. It’s a little, er… ambiguous. 😉
Maybe a good head on her shoulders?
Always enjoy your blog though. Truly unique and interesting.
Thanks!

Steven · February 7, 2011 at 11:48

Haha, my “huh?” alarm went off when I read that, but I didn’t realize how hilarious it actually was until you pointed it out. I agree though, this is such a great blog.

Phil Connors · August 8, 2011 at 10:01

“Good head” is a literal translation of the Japanese way to say intelligent.

The other meaning can just be assumed in 100% of cases.

TOkyoguy · February 19, 2012 at 18:57

LOLOL

jennycrossover · February 9, 2011 at 00:48

I should say multilingual make women more attractive.
Lately I am learning Mandarin by iphone – (just found this apps introduced by colleagues)
you know what, amazingly peoples kept saying ‘ Hot ‘ when i spoke Mandarin.
Believe it or not .. gals .. try download and learn to speak .. it drive peoples(men) nuts

Business Travel Mandarin : http://itunes.apple.com/hk/app/business-travel-mandarin-chinese/id414623477?#

RMilner · February 10, 2011 at 15:17

I think working as a spambot makes women more attractive.

Realize English · February 13, 2011 at 12:56

All I kept thinking was, I wonder if I’d go for a super sexy woman who had none of those things in the list…

What makes plain Japanese guys cool? | 世論 What Japan Thinks · February 20, 2011 at 23:06

[…] a follow-up to my recent presentation of what makes plain girls hot, here we have women looking at men to tell us what makes plain guys cool. As before, this is from […]