Twenty most popular English sites on Japan

Following up a lead I saw on a post on SEO Book, I downloaded a list of the top one million web sites by traffic. With a quick search for the key phrases “japan”, “nippon”, “nihon” and “tokyo” and a sort, I condensed the 600 or more hits down to the short list below of the top twenty most visited Japan-related domain names. Note that the vast majority of the sites were actually pr0n-related, so I deleted them (and one dodgy search engine spam site) and thus present the edited top twenty. The full data is from Quantcast. FAQs about the data, and an interesting search feature, can be found here. Oh, and I’m at position 225,812, just in case you’re wondering.

UPDATE: I just had a trackback from The Otaku, and I see that site should be in the table at position number four. If there’s anyone else I’ve missed, please give me shout!

UPDATE 2: I forgot Danny Choo too! In he goes at number 9, although quite frankly he barely passes my pr0n filter.

UPDATE 3: And 3yen and metropolis.co.jp! Sorry guys!

UPDATE 4: And JREF comes in at number 12.

UPDATE 5: Thanks to a post on Japanator, I’ve revisited the list, and found many (too many?) extra sites, all manga and anime-related.

Top 52 most visited English-language sites about Japan

RankURLDescription
7897www.japaneselifestyle.com.auAn extremely plain low-maintenance site that probably rates as an authority site in Google.
8356www.animecubed.comAnime wallpaper, images, etc.
9173www.tokyopop.comUS manga distributor.
9738japan-guide.comAnother extremely plain low-maintenance site that probably rates as an authority site in Google.
10959www.animegalleries.netAnime wallpaper, images, etc.
11290www.absoluteanime.comAnime character database.
11346animeblogger.netBlogging site for anime fans.
11998www.animenewsnetwork.comAnime news network, as you might have guessed.
12572www.theotaku.comA site for fans of all things related to Japanese cartoons and animation.
13752www.discountanimedvd.comA site for fans of all things related to Japanese cartoons and animation.
15462www.minitokyo.netAn anime art site that I’d never heard of before.
19287www.animewallpapers.comYet another anime wallpaper site.
22677www.animelyrics.comLyrics from anime theme songs.
23556www.animenation.netAnime shopping site.
25104www.anime.comAnime portal.
256184chan.orgEnglish version of 2ch.
27872www.japantoday.comJapan news feeds and a large BBS community.
30049www.animenfo.comManga and anime database.
33153web-japan.orgOfficial Japanese goverment portal, but it seems to be broken.
36067cdjapan.co.jpAnime media store.
36317dannychoo.comAnime and idols.
38423www.japanprobe.comThe highest-rated site I regularly read. News from a side of Japan that is rarely seen.
38785www.animelab.comManga and anime image galleries, etc.
39645www.animenation.com.com version of this anime shopping site.
40537www.japantimes.co.jpWeb site of one of Japan’s biggest English-language newspapers.
40864www.animemetro.comAnime portal site.
40983www.jref.comBig Japan reference site and active forums.
41168www.animezen.netAnother anime portal site.
41617www.animechains.netAnime bulletin board site.
42178www.animepaper.netAnime fan art and scans site.
42339www.thisisanime.comAnime shopping site.
43336www.teaching-english-in-japan.netEnglish teacher-targeted portal, but a rather thin site. Perhaps they rank highly for a few key search terms?
44102japanesetranslator.co.ukJapanese-English translator’s home page.
45824www.japan-zone.comBig Japan-related portal
46971japanimation.comAnime-related online store.
47296animeondvd.comAnime-related online store.
47407www.keiichianimeforever.comAnime portal.
52355www.japan-partner.comJapanese car exporter.
52683www.anime-planet.comAnime portal.
52892www.animecornerstore.comAnime shopping site.
53004www.animeforum.comAnime bulletin board site.
53058www.3yen.comBlogging on Japan, another of my regular reads
53525www.animecastle.comAnime shopping site.
53529www.anime-source.comAnime portal.
54601japancupid.comDating site
54606www.advancedanime.comYet another anime gallery of fan art, etc
57464metropolis.co.jpWhat’s on and other news magazine for Tokyo
57748www.worldcupjapankorea.comHasn’t been updated since the 2002 Japan/Korea World Cup, but still getting lots of traffic, it seems.
58984animeworld.comAnime and other info about Japan
62144www.megatokyo.comLong-running online comic based around Japan and gaming and other random stuff.
62881www.myanimecards.comElectronic greetings cards in an anime style.
66082japundit.comAnother regular read for me. Collection of Engrish humour and news mostly from Japan.
67864www.japanese-name-translation.comDoes just what it says in the URL.
Read more on:

13 comments »

1. Neil said,
    March 17, 2009 @ 20:47

Found another cool site to add to the list, seems very new too Anime Oxide

2. La Carmina said,
    April 11, 2009 @ 09:41

There’s also my Japanese Gothic Lolita fashion & street style site – http://www.lacarmina.com/blog

^__^

3. Tony Hall said,
    January 7, 2010 @ 14:03

Stop killing whales you dick heads.

4. January 10, 2010 @ 23:29

Very interesting site, I want to appear as top 20 Japanese site in one day,
    My site is Japanese used car export site. recycling used cars to parts.

5. kyushudan said,
    February 15, 2010 @ 13:27

How about a great Japanese Castle website? http://www.japanese-castle-explorer.com/

6. Anime said,
    February 23, 2010 @ 22:06

There’s loads of Anime websites up there lol. Some good ones are Animepalm, Animefreak, Anilinkz, Anime-Media, Zomganime, Animethat, and plenty more…
    Also: I love Japan. I plan on moving to Osaka eventually, I loved Yukimura Sanada, and I want to see the famous Osaka Castle due to it.

7. anime said,
    October 9, 2010 @ 20:28

I assume the reason is because the anime is of course common in Japan. In the U.S. is something different, something maybe a little strange, so people can see it as an objective interest. If you were in Japan and said: “I am a big fan of the anime” people probably would not notice, as if a Japanese man said: “I’m a fan of American comedies” because it would be a genre so huge that most everyone find something they like. Both people would likely getting a repose as well …. oh … that what?

8. hentai said,
    November 7, 2010 @ 16:48

Anime it’s new on the market, and indeed on some markets, it’s something strange and it may take some time to have some good succes. I belive that all adult have good succes.

9. info said,
    June 19, 2012 @ 22:39

米国SUNDOWNTOWNSの用心しなさい。 ジェームスLowen。.modern日、有色人に対する現在のバイアスまでに本を読みなさい。現在のアメリカ…… http://sundown.afro.illinois.edu/sundowntowns.phpの.hidddenの真実

10. TJ said,
    June 28, 2012 @ 15:12

The Japan Rants is working it’s way up the rankings! http://www.thejapanrants.com/blog/ If you have time, take a peek!

11. February 12, 2013 @ 17:09

Firstly,Sakura International Translation Company wants to send our thanks to customers who put their
    belief, responsibility and hope, set the strictest standards,
    requirements to our translating and interpreting services.
    Thank you for supporting professional link Translation Company and creating
    favor conditions for us to take charge of important projects.
    Customers’ belief for professional link Translation Company gives us lots of
    motivations to show our ability.

You will witness the professional and accurate styles of
    Europe if you come to Sakura Translation.

The collaborators of Sakura Translation are experienced interpreters-translators who used to work for
    diplomatic agencies, language institutes, notary offices of Vietnam and
    foreign countries.

When choosing SakuraTranslation, there is no need to:

+ Be hopeless with the quality of translated documents (accuracy, style,…)

+ Waste time to wait and discomfort with bad services

+…

Sakura Translation serves:

+ 24/24h (include Saturday, Sunday, Festival, Tet holiday,…)

+ Receiving-delivering translations at home, offices,…

+ Immediate translations notarized by the State

+ Supporting notarization procedures, confirm signatures,…

Sakura Translation is so proud to serve and cooperate with companies and
    customers everywhere and at any time to get mutual
    benefits.,m

Our warmest thanks to you

12. Tomoko! said,
    June 21, 2013 @ 04:49

I love Rangl.com !..!..! (^_v_^)

13. December 1, 2016 @ 21:46

Manga.Tokyo is a new anime and otaku site that is climbing the ranks! Check it out!