Rapid payment, points systems key attractions of electronic money

Advertisement

Do you have contactless IC card-type of electronic cash? graph of japanese statisticsThe next milestone for electronic cash, the subject of a recent survey from goo Research (the 14th in the regular series) and reported on by japan.internet.com, is two-thirds of the sample having experienced electronic cash, a figure which should be reached by summer, I suspect.

Demographics

Between the 15th and 18th of February 2010 1,086 members of the goo Research monitor panel completed a private internet-based questionnaire. 52.8% of the sample were male, 15.9% in their teens, 18.0% in their twenties, 21.5% in their thirties, 16.3% in their forties, and 28.3% aged fifty or older.

Note that the survey is looking only at credit card form-factor cash, not IC chips embedded into mobile phones.

I use mine mostly for trains and in-station shops, as it doesn’t come out of my monthly budget. When I first got my card I did use it at a restaurant and book store, but I found out that thrice as many points were on offer if I used the credit card function instead!

Research results

Q1: Do you have contactless IC card-type of electronic cash? (Sample size=1,086)

Currently have (to SQs)57.6%
Used to have4.6%
Never had34.7%
Don’t know what a contactless IC card is3.0%

Although 626 people had electronic cash, only 593 people, or 94.7%, were currently using their card, although it didn’t report how the remaining 5.3% was split between ex-users and never used.

Q1SQ1: Why do you use IC card-type electronic cash? (Sample size=593, multiple answer)

 VotesPercentage
Shortens payment time38064.1%
Can get points30150.8%
Don’t end up with a pocketful of change24641.5%
Can pay for things without carrying money20935.2%
Can use at shops I often visit16227.3%
Don’t need to pay attention to how much money I’m carrying11018.5%
Feature came with a cash card, season ticket, etc6911.6%
Handy to have a record of purchases559.3%
Handy that I don’t have to go to the bank to withdraw money477.9%
Safer than real money264.4%
Other223.7%

Q1SQ2: At what kinds of locations do you use IC card-type electronic cash? (Sample size=593, multiple answer)

 VotesPercentage
Public transport (train, bus, etc)42070.8%
Convenience store33256.0%
In-station shops20734.9%
Supermarket15826.6%
Vending machine15125.5%
Fast food restaurant6210.5%
Electrical superstore477.9%
Drug store427.1%
Restaurant315.2%
Book store315.2%
Online shopping203.4%
Cafe, coffee shop172.9%
Department store81.3%
Taxi81.3%
Work, school restaurant71.2%
Hospital00.0%
Other122.0%
Read more on:

Custom Search

1 Comment »

  1. patrick said,
    March 19, 2010 @ 02:51

    I can’t wait until that goes into place…But I wonder if we’ll ever reach a point where cash isn’t accepted anymore?

Leave a Comment