Skype, a mostly free internet telephony application, is one of these internet utilities that I feel not enough people know about, so I’m glad to have this opportunity to translate a survey from RealWorld RealResearch and reported on by japan.internet.com looking at Skype, of course.
Over the 8th and 9th of July 2009 1,016 members of the RealWorld RealResearch monitor group completed a private internet-based questionnaire. 63.5% of the sample were male, 8.1% in their teens, 17.5% in their twenties, 12.8% in their thirties, 28.8% in their forties, 19.5% in their fifties, and 13.3% aged sixty or older.
One handy feature for people in Japan is that US and UK freephone numbers can be called for free, a feature I’ve made use of a few times.
I’d have liked to have seen in Q2 a breakdown between free and paid usage of voice calling in Skype, but perhaps if one pays for the full survey results one could see a more detailed answer.
Note that outside of smartphones none (as far as I am aware) of the Japanese-manufactured mobile phones support Skype.
First, there were 213 people (or 21.0% of the sample) who had used Skype; of the 213, 52 people often used it, 72 people sometimes, and 89 rarely. However, there was no information about how the remaining 79.0% were split between those who had heard of it but not used it, and those who had never heard of it. The following questions were all asked to these 213 people.
Q1: About how long have you been using Skype? (Sample size=213)
Less than six months 19.2% Six months to one year 17.4% One to two years 24.4% Two to three years 19.7% More than three years 19.2%
Q2: Which of the following Skype features do you often use? (Sample size=213, multiple answer)
Votes Percentage Voice calling (including SkypeIn, SkypeOut) 150 70.4% Chat, video chat 89 41.8% File transmission 43 20.2% Meetings 20 9.4% Skypecast 4 1.9% Other 1 0.5% Don’t really use anything much 36 16.9%
Q3: On what kinds of devices do you use Skype? (Sample size=213, multiple answer)
Votes Percentage Computer 207 97.2% Sony Playstation Portable (PSP) 14 6.6% Fixed-line telephone 9 4.2% Basic mobile phone (Nokia, etc) 6 2.8% Skypephone (Skype-branded mobile phone) 4 1.9% Smartphone (iPhone, Windows Mobile, etc) 3 1.4% PDA, pocket PC 0 0.0% Other 1 0.5%