Twenty most popular English sites on Japan

Following up a lead I saw on a post on SEO Book, I downloaded a list of the top one million web sites by traffic. With a quick search for the key phrases “japan”, “nippon”, “nihon” and “tokyo” and a sort, I condensed the 600 or more hits down to the short list below of the top twenty most visited Japan-related domain names. Note that the vast majority of the sites were actually pr0n-related, so I deleted them (and one dodgy search engine spam site) and thus present the edited top twenty. The full data is from Quantcast. FAQs about the data, and an interesting search feature, can be found here. Oh, and I’m at position 225,812, just in case you’re wondering.

UPDATE: I just had a trackback from The Otaku, and I see that site should be in the table at position number four. If there’s anyone else I’ve missed, please give me shout!

UPDATE 2: I forgot Danny Choo too! In he goes at number 9, although quite frankly he barely passes my pr0n filter.

UPDATE 3: And 3yen and! Sorry guys!

UPDATE 4: And JREF comes in at number 12.

UPDATE 5: Thanks to a post on Japanator, I’ve revisited the list, and found many (too many?) extra sites, all manga and anime-related.

Top 52 most visited English-language sites about Japan

Rank URL Description
7897 An extremely plain low-maintenance site that probably rates as an authority site in Google.
8356 Anime wallpaper, images, etc.
9173 US manga distributor.
9738 Another extremely plain low-maintenance site that probably rates as an authority site in Google.
10959 Anime wallpaper, images, etc.
11290 Anime character database.
11346 Blogging site for anime fans.
11998 Anime news network, as you might have guessed.
12572 A site for fans of all things related to Japanese cartoons and animation.
13752 A site for fans of all things related to Japanese cartoons and animation.
15462 An anime art site that I’d never heard of before.
19287 Yet another anime wallpaper site.
22677 Lyrics from anime theme songs.
23556 Anime shopping site.
25104 Anime portal.
25618 English version of 2ch.
27872 Japan news feeds and a large BBS community.
30049 Manga and anime database.
33153 Official Japanese goverment portal, but it seems to be broken.
36067 Anime media store.
36317 Anime and idols.
38423 The highest-rated site I regularly read. News from a side of Japan that is rarely seen.
38785 Manga and anime image galleries, etc.
39645 .com version of this anime shopping site.
40537 Web site of one of Japan’s biggest English-language newspapers.
40864 Anime portal site.
40983 Big Japan reference site and active forums.
41168 Another anime portal site.
41617 Anime bulletin board site.
42178 Anime fan art and scans site.
42339 Anime shopping site.
43336 English teacher-targeted portal, but a rather thin site. Perhaps they rank highly for a few key search terms?
44102 Japanese-English translator’s home page.
45824 Big Japan-related portal
46971 Anime-related online store.
47296 Anime-related online store.
47407 Anime portal.
52355 Japanese car exporter.
52683 Anime portal.
52892 Anime shopping site.
53004 Anime bulletin board site.
53058 Blogging on Japan, another of my regular reads
53525 Anime shopping site.
53529 Anime portal.
54601 Dating site
54606 Yet another anime gallery of fan art, etc
57464 What’s on and other news magazine for Tokyo
57748 Hasn’t been updated since the 2002 Japan/Korea World Cup, but still getting lots of traffic, it seems.
58984 Anime and other info about Japan
62144 Long-running online comic based around Japan and gaming and other random stuff.
62881 Electronic greetings cards in an anime style.
66082 Another regular read for me. Collection of Engrish humour and news mostly from Japan.
67864 Does just what it says in the URL.
Read more on:

Custom Search

1. Neil said,
    March 17, 2009 @ 20:47

Found another cool site to add to the list, seems very new too Anime Oxide

2. La Carmina said,
    April 11, 2009 @ 09:41

There’s also my Japanese Gothic Lolita fashion & street style site –

3. Tony Hall said,
    January 7, 2010 @ 14:03

Stop killing whales you dick heads.

4. January 10, 2010 @ 23:29

Very interesting site, I want to appear as top 20 Japanese site in one day,
    My site is Japanese used car export site. recycling used cars to parts.

5. kyushudan said,
    February 15, 2010 @ 13:27

How about a great Japanese Castle website?

6. Anime said,
    February 23, 2010 @ 22:06

There’s loads of Anime websites up there lol. Some good ones are Animepalm, Animefreak, Anilinkz, Anime-Media, Zomganime, Animethat, and plenty more…
    Also: I love Japan. I plan on moving to Osaka eventually, I loved Yukimura Sanada, and I want to see the famous Osaka Castle due to it.

7. anime said,
    October 9, 2010 @ 20:28

I assume the reason is because the anime is of course common in Japan. In the U.S. is something different, something maybe a little strange, so people can see it as an objective interest. If you were in Japan and said: “I am a big fan of the anime” people probably would not notice, as if a Japanese man said: “I’m a fan of American comedies” because it would be a genre so huge that most everyone find something they like. Both people would likely getting a repose as well …. oh … that what?

8. hentai said,
    November 7, 2010 @ 16:48

Anime it’s new on the market, and indeed on some markets, it’s something strange and it may take some time to have some good succes. I belive that all adult have good succes.

9. info said,
    June 19, 2012 @ 22:39

米国SUNDOWNTOWNSの用心しなさい。 ジェームスLowen。.modern日、有色人に対する現在のバイアスまでに本を読みなさい。現在のアメリカ……の.hidddenの真実

10. TJ said,
    June 28, 2012 @ 15:12

The Japan Rants is working it’s way up the rankings! If you have time, take a peek!

11. February 12, 2013 @ 17:09

Firstly,Sakura International Translation Company wants to send our thanks to customers who put their
    belief, responsibility and hope, set the strictest standards,
    requirements to our translating and interpreting services.
    Thank you for supporting professional link Translation Company and creating
    favor conditions for us to take charge of important projects.
    Customers’ belief for professional link Translation Company gives us lots of
    motivations to show our ability.

You will witness the professional and accurate styles of
    Europe if you come to Sakura Translation.

The collaborators of Sakura Translation are experienced interpreters-translators who used to work for
    diplomatic agencies, language institutes, notary offices of Vietnam and
    foreign countries.

When choosing SakuraTranslation, there is no need to:

+ Be hopeless with the quality of translated documents (accuracy, style,…)

+ Waste time to wait and discomfort with bad services

Sakura Translation serves:

+ 24/24h (include Saturday, Sunday, Festival, Tet holiday,…)

+ Receiving-delivering translations at home, offices,…

+ Immediate translations notarized by the State

+ Supporting notarization procedures, confirm signatures,…

Sakura Translation is so proud to serve and cooperate with companies and
    customers everywhere and at any time to get mutual

Our warmest thanks to you

12. Tomoko! said,