Japanese women dream of the USA

representitives of countries Japanese want to marry intoDIMSDRIVE performed internet-based research involving 5,274 people in September of last year to find out which country’s citizens would people most want to marry. It is not stated whether or not the people interviewed were single or not.

The Asia versus the West split is quite noticeable in the men, but really striking amongst the women. I previously translated statistics regarding international marriages in Japan that shows that the ideals being expressed here do not seem to be realised.

On a slight tangent, I watched the last episode of an NHK English learning program which features an English-speaking Western blonde angel that prods a clueless office worker along the path to success at her job getting a date with her transferred from New York colleague, the ideal tall, muscular, tanned, well-coiffured white executive. The angel’s job was done because the glaikit Misaki finally pulled her man.

Research results

Q: Other than Japanese, which country’s people do you think would be good to have as a partner (husband or wife)? (Sample size=5,274, free answer)

Rank   Votes
1 USA 1,144
2 Korea 505
3 UK 442
4 Italy 370
5 France 344
6 Australia 218
7 Germany 203
8 China 197
9 Canada 150
10 Russia 120

Q: Other than Japanese, which country’s people do you think would be good to have as a partner (husband or wife)? (By sex, free answer)

Rank Male
5 Russia 117 5 Korea 208
6 Thailand 99 6 Australia 145
7 UK 95 7 Germany 131
8 Italy 92 8 Canada 99
9= Taiwan 73 9 Switzerland 47
9= Australia 73 10 Spain 34

First, looking at the East-West split – or more accurately, perhaps, the caucasian-Asian split (I’m not aware of any black Western role-models in Japan) we see that for men, 36% of the total votes were for Western wives versus 26% for Asian women, favouring the West (I’m including Russia, with Maria Sharapova as the popular image of the country) by just over a third. However for women there is a marked difference; about 74% in total choose the West (over 40% for the USA alone) versus a mere 7.4% for the East, a massive ten to one vote for Europe and the USA.

Next, looking at the detailed age breakdown, it’s only in the teenage girls group that the USA fails to top the charts, losing out to France and Korea, and equal with the UK. For men in their twenties, American women are preferred over the second-placed Korean women by almost 60%, and the Chinese are back in fifth, gaining just over a third of the number of votes of the USA. However, the older men get, the stronger the charms of the Asian neighbours become, with the gap at its smallest being just a mere three votes. Similarly, for men in their forties and over, Chinese women cut the gap from a third to about a half of the USA score.

For women, as they get older (ignoring the over sixty bracket which has a very small sample size, so may be rather inaccurate) the attraction to American men only get stronger; in their twenties, Americans get just under a quarter of the vote, but by their fifties, it surpasses three in ten. Despite the charms of the disturbingly Harry Potter-like Bae Yong Joon Korean men do not seem to be particularly favoured by the middle-aged demographic.

These two main trends noted above are perhaps reflections on Japanese society as much as on foreign stereotypes. The younger men hold images of themselves as charming the sophisticated Western woman, but as they age (and visit dodgy hostess bars…) they come to realise that perhaps only Asian women could accept their typical Japanese behaviour. For women, after having been around Japanese men for many, many years, they too may come to realise that the Western stereotypes of politeness and chivalry are the only things that could satisty them in marriage.

Bonus points if you can name the people pictured…

Read more on: ,,

Custom Search

176 comments »

1. tu said,
    June 12, 2012 @ 12:54

JAPANS DREAM OF JAPAN ONLY, and i’m a thai woman. USA is sth still low grade nation. Thailand is one of the creditors of the bankrupt USA. The author must read read the current world situation again.

• An Actual Detective said,
      June 12, 2012 @ 13:01

And YOU must learn to pay attention to details. Things like the fact that this article was written January 6, 2006 and the study was done in September of 2005 would probably have been more apparent to you. Everything else you said is not even worth addressing.

• hi said,
      June 13, 2012 @ 03:47

sorry,but Japan is still the largest U.S. bond holdings country…
      and I bet not ” JAPAN ONLY”…thai women are married to american/foreigners men more than japanese women.
      thailand is among the key bride-supplying countries with Vietnam and Philippines.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail-order_bride

but The last sentence agree.

• Jim said,
      June 13, 2012 @ 08:22

You know what? If he won’t address that bullcrap, I will. You want to talk low-grade?

1. Thailand is still one of the worst countries when it comes to child prostitution and human trafficking. It is a 500 billion Baht annual business.

2. The so-called credit that Thailand owns is hardly even worth mentioning. Your country owns 0.004% of US Federal Securities. It isn’t even a fraction of a drop in the bucket.

3. You want to talk bankrupt? Thailand’s GDP comes out to roughly $315 billion dollars. The USA earns Thailand’s entire GDP in a little more than a week and a half. We could pay off your entire national debt with less than our annual budget for the Department of Agriculture.

Apparently you are the one who needs to read the current world situation, little miss ego. And maybe you should also think about actually learning economics before you make any more foolish comments.

2. tu said,
    June 12, 2012 @ 12:59

THAI PEOPLE MOCK WHITE MEN WITH JUST ISAAN GIRLS or SOUTH MALAY GIRLS from northeast and southern part of thailand. Isaan part or the malay south were conquerred and colonized by Siam about 300 years ago, has never been any leader of military leader but ruled by khmer, loas and then siam. Isaan girls are sth mocked in thailand especially by women of siam origin. Phuket or sex patong beach was malaysia but conquerred by siam. Siam was uncolonized, and whitemen had been massacred by mongols.

3. ... said,
    June 14, 2012 @ 12:47

this article’s title is misleading.Look at the comments here…
    Hope the new title!

4. Amy said,
    June 19, 2012 @ 14:18

I think it has to do with a very strong US cultural impact on Japan (and likewise really, Japanese culture is very strong in the US) and very close political and military ties between the two. The US and Japan pretty much back everything the other does and the US has said countless times that Japan is the cornerstone of US security in the Pacific. Strong relationships don’t hurt either, according to the Japanese embassy in Washington 97% of Americans see Japan as a trustworthy and dependable ally, while 84% express mostly positive feelings toward Japan, with 26% saying they felt “Very close”. Japan likewise have similar statistics regarding their views on the US.

That said i’d be interested to see a similar poll in the US, and a poll that allows the option of marrying a non-foreigner and reasons as to why they selected the choice they did.

I love some of the comments here, anti-American people claim the poll can’t be true because they dislike the US.

• ... said,
      June 22, 2012 @ 14:36

I dont hate US.
      but “japanese women dream of USA” is over-representation.
      actually, Japanese immigration to the United States is as much as Germans.Very little.Because Immigration to the United States has not benefits for the current japanese.
      “In recent years, immigration from Japan has been more like that from Western Europe.. The number is on average 5 to 10 thousand per year, and is similar to the amount of immigration to the U.S. from Germany.”http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_American

I dont hate americans…but I hate “japanese women want to marry americans”old stereotype.
      that’s sexist and racist stereotype.

• Bruce Wayne said,
      August 26, 2012 @ 11:12

Well, Amy…I think you are correct. I am a U.S. Male and I have had the opportunity to actually work with many People from Asia. Taiwanese, Korean, Chinese, Cambodian, Laotian, and even some Japanese. And I have also worked with some from other Cultural backgrounds and I do find the closest in Ideals to Asian people.

I like to mention the difference because for some reason, most Asian people do very well in the U.S. while other peoples do not, such as African, for instance…The claim that Americans are racist does not account or why Africans do not do very well and yet Asians do..The best explanation is in the cultural differences with Asian culture being more readily adaptable to American lifestyle which then leads to a higher rate of success.

I am one American male who would very much like the opportunity to have a long term relationship with An Asian Woman. Strangely though, this does not happen very often.

For instance, If my email was mrbrucewayne63 at geemail dot comm how many japanese girls would contact me even just to say hi? and yet, if they did, maybe one could come to the U.S.

5. Human said,
    August 26, 2012 @ 09:54

Of all the people I’ve met in this world, White American/Western men are by far the most egotistical group out there. There are plenty of these men who are not egotistical and I feel sorry for them because they get grouped in with this horrible crowd. But that doesn’t change the fact that no other group of people, Western women, White women, Black women, German women, Nigerian women, Australian women, Indian men, Chinese men, etc. have the audacity to think that so many people on the other side of the planet could possibly want them so badly. It wouldn’t even cross their mind. Yet, this site and others are full of White Western men who think they are the most desirable men on the planet. These men have a freakish ego that is ugly, racist, sexist and it’s grotesque to witness. There is nothing worse than a low quality human being who doesn’t care and refuses to believe they are low quality, purposely travelling to the other end of the globe, all to take advantage of other people, hoping that they won’t notice how awful they are because of language and cultural barriers. Can you imagine the ego it must take to think that so many women who don’t know you will want you and leave their own men, and possibly their country/life, for you? Disgusting.

Here is a heads-up and a life lesson for a few of you. If you have to bring another man DOWN to make yourself look good, then you don’t have any true self-worth. If you ask one of these fools why they think they are so much better than Asian men, they will typically respond by talking all about the Asian men. “They have a small penis, they are sexist, they are effeminate” and so on. Nothing about why they PERSONALLY are the better choice. If you have to rely on false, war-story stereotypes to make yourself look good, you’ve fallen a long way down.

And some more food for thought. There is a reason that the women in the US, Canada, western Europe, Australia, NZ, etc. are not jealous and don’t even think about these men. Why would you miss them when they’re gone? It does nothing but help you, because it leaves the higher quality men for you to date and marry. That is a win-win situation.

• white western american male said,
      September 30, 2012 @ 22:46

OK, posts like these make my head hurt, and as one of these so called ” egotistical, low quality, closed-minded, ugly, racist, and sexist males” that you speak of, feel that I must speak up about the brush you have painted me with.

let me start by saying that I’m an American citizen who has worked In many different countries and understand your particular problem, but I’ll get to that.

I, as well as every person I know In the US have never, not even once, thought of ourselves as a gift unto any women of our own country, much less those of other nations. Instead our Image of self worth has been beaten down so far by the media fueled frenzy of “public beauty” that, at least personally, I feel a sense disappointment with myself as I will never look like Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp, nor do I have the douche bag personality that men apparently need In order to gain the prolonged attention of the “high quality” women of the US, Canada, western Europe, Australia, NZ, etc. The people that you are talking about are perfectly happy using the women who live around them and have no wish of out sourcing the misguided affections of the stupid people they are currently with.

Now, I will be very open about my attraction to Asian women, but It Is not only Asian women, It Is all women. I find the female form enticing on every level, It’s only after I hear them speak that I find out If they are truly attractive, I’ve believed this for a long time, so long In fact that I Invented a little motto that I live by :B**** makes you ugly. you could be the most beautiful woman on the planet with an MBA In astrophysics and billions of dollars In your bank account, but If you have a sense of entitlement and a closed mind to others opinions/choices, then you are an abscess of an Individual In my eyes, It doesn’t matter what nation you are from.

I’m speaking to you this way because I can tell that you are an Intelligent Individual, so Instead of saying that people who enjoy the company of Asian women are horrible to even think about, I beg that you look back In your own life and ask yourself “when did finding love become restricted to my own country ?”

maybe I’m biased as I was far from my own country when I found my wife, and while It doesn’t matter to me what her ethnic background Is, It does bare mentioning that she and I are both Caucasian, born and raised In the US, and that I left a long term relationship with a Chinese woman to be with her. In my life I have been In relationships with women from all ethnic origins and hold no bias against any of them some where wonderful people, smart, and genuinely beautiful on the Inside, it took time to find out that the others were nothing but ugly on the inside. some of these women i met inside my own country and some I met while traveling In my profession.

• Daniel said,
        January 9, 2013 @ 12:42

Yes I agree with you. I’m from New Zealand & I don’t care what country a woman comes from, most of the immigrants here are actually Chinese (we are their second favourite country to go to, just behind Australia which is their number 1 destination) & well they’re quite cute but NZ woman can be too. It all depends on the personality of the girl. From what I’ve seen on thejapanchanneldotcom YouTube page (it has an Australian guy who lives in a rural town in Japan) he says they’re not easy to get, partly because of cultural differences but mostly because we foreigners have a bad reputation over there, most of the crime is caused by foreigners (like the rapes in Okinawa). I’m single today but I’m still young (turning 21 next week) so I’ve got a while to find the right one (that’s if I ever find her or she finds me).

6. Reality Check said,
    August 26, 2012 @ 13:32

WOW! This old article is really heating up now. I posted to it years ago, and I see the subsequent replies to my old, outdated posts. I find them curious and interesting.

I really like Asian girls and Asian culture(s). I am an American and I have been living in China with my Chinese wife for a while now. I am pretty happy, and I can see the different sides of the issue from my unique perspective. Much of my experience is with Chinese girls, but I would like to put in my comments at this point of time.

There are many issues involved, and that is why this is such a fertile area for commentary. The basic issues concern themselves with (1) reality vs. (2) stereotype. many Asians have a stereotypical view of American culture and American men. Some of which is true, most of which is false. This tends to favor an American male looking for an Asian partner. Initially. However, any Asian who is with an American man for any length of time soon learns the reality of their choice in mate. This is true globally.

America is not as great as it is promoted to be. In fact, it is probably one of the most heavily policed nations in the world; it most certainly imprisons more people in the world than any other nation. It has more police, more laws, more restrictions, and arcane (unwritten) behavioral restrictions than any other nation in the world. The males are subjugated by matriarchal dominant legislative body and strive to better their lives under a ruthless economy and endure many insults to their intelligence all in the name of “the children”.

When a woman looks for a mate, she looks for the ideal qualities from her own perspective. This might include emotional, physical, parental, or social reasons. In many ways, the stereotypical male appears (at first glance) to meet these qualities. But the sad truth is that it is all “window dressing”. I strongly urge any one who is interested in a mate (man or woman) from another culture to consider all the true aspects of the cultural differences involved. Americans are not as great as they proclaim to be, but neither are they so horrible. The issues in a relationship between a man and a woman vary strongly depending of the cultural differences between them.

I wish all the readers here to not be afraid to meet members of another sex from other cultures, but to proceed cautiously. Realize that cultural variations between you two may be difficult to endure. I urge kind restraint and an open heart.

• An Actual Detective said,
      August 26, 2012 @ 13:45

That has to be one of the most rational and well-written points I have seen here in quite some time.

• Daniel said,
      January 9, 2013 @ 12:58

Yes I agree & this is well written. I’m From New Zealand & people from other countries like Japan think we’re the nicest people on Earth because that’s how we are promoted through tourism & media, but in reality we’re no different from anywhere else, sure we’re more laid back than most countries (not in a lazy way we’re really hard working like the Japanese, it’s more of a way we think & the way we roll type of thing) but we still have problems with people (mostly greedy government members). Sure I’d like to meet a Japanese woman cause I know they’re really nice (most of them are) but you know, it doesn’t really matter who you meet so long as they’re right for you.

7. me said,
    September 6, 2012 @ 07:36

Because
    The japanese people are still slave of the wild americans.

• An Actual Detective said,
      September 6, 2012 @ 07:39

And this has to be one of the dumbest “points” I have seen here.

• ... said,
      September 15, 2012 @ 04:07

So…
      Are Chinese women still slave of rich Japanese?
      Chinese women and Japanese men is most common couple in Japan,now.

8. grey said,
    October 5, 2012 @ 02:19

This sucks!! Now when I date Japanese women I’ll know the whole time that they are not dating me becaus they like ME, they are dating me just because they like AMERICANS. What crap.

9. xyz said said,
    October 27, 2012 @ 01:00

the link has been changed to here, i believe:

please update blog :)

• Ken Y-N said,
      October 30, 2012 @ 22:57

Ah, indeed it has! Thank you for that note, and I’ll have to download a tool to check all my links.

• An Actual Detective said,
        October 30, 2012 @ 23:02

When you originally wrote this article, did you ever expect there to be discussions about it continuing to happen almost 7 years later?

• Ken Y-N said,
          October 30, 2012 @ 23:07

Heh, certainly not! I’m not complaining, however.

• An Actual Detective said,
            October 30, 2012 @ 23:12

It has definitely been a fascinating discussion.

• Japanese women said,
      December 2, 2012 @ 15:09

That poll make me shame…;_;

10. Paenit said,
    January 28, 2013 @ 11:02

I wonder what a new polling of this would tell us…

11. Kamal said,
    February 20, 2013 @ 04:39

Bull,
    No African or Black countries are listed. I know plenty Japanese women interested in Jamaican men. My self being a Jamaican man know this by first hand experience. Yet another set of biased statistics smh.

• resident in Japan said,
      August 25, 2013 @ 05:38

I don’t think so…

rather black people have bad stereotype in Japan or they don’t care about african countries.

12. matt said,
    December 6, 2013 @ 17:04

At the very end of your article you keep making the argument that “as they get older…”. You can not draw future conclusions based on these stats; Those statistics you cite deal with the present and does not, for example, claim that this statistic would be true in 20 years. People won’t “grow” into a statistic. I doubt USA will be top of the post-fifty chicks in 20 years. Most likely, older japanese women prefer USA men because we had TONS more G.I. Joes (U.S. troops) walking around japan after WWII and they probably preferred USA men when they were 20 too or at least that experience might have shaped their romantic idea….Or something else, but really all you can do is make educated guesses, but assuming that 20-somethings today in thirty years will have the same preferences as the 50 year-olds today is ridiculous.

You, sir, are not logical.

13. April 20, 2014 @ 23:26

Everything is very open with a clear explanation of
    the challenges. It was truly informative. Your website is very helpful.
    Thanks for sharing!